I've skipped ahead to teach-nique #46, the J-factor, or JOY FACTOR. Tomorrow is my 35th birthday and I have decided to embrace this principle outside of the classroom by spoiling myself and birthdaying all day long. Ah, facial and vegan cupcake (they're really really good) here I come. I'm also setting the intention for this upcoming school year that I be in a place where work is joyful and not a place I want to avoid on my birthday. Several students told me they had surprises for me tomorrow, so I warned them I wouldn't be there--"What are your favorite flowers?" they asked me (freesia), "What color of balloons do you like?" (all colors). There is much sweetness if you look for it.
We all like celebrations, songs, games, competitions, nicknames, drama, dance, music, movement, humor, suspense and surprise. The J-FACTOR is my inspiration for improving my teaching, and my life. I want to reach for the highest possible place for me to be. I want to teach the kids who want what I have to offer and the gifts I can give them. I want to make learning exciting and worth it; I'm open to find new ways to show students that what I can offer will benefit them for their whole lives. Cheers to the JOY of living & learning.
No comments:
Post a Comment