- How to Master Change In Your Life by Mary Carroll Moore
- When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times by Pema Chodron
Attempting to implement strategies from the book "Teach Like a Champion: 49 Techniques That Put Students on the Path to College" over the remaining 49+ days of the school year.
Monday, May 17, 2010
Turning Points
No teaching techniques tonight from the Teach Like a Champion peeps. I've been unable to pick up the book–a slight feeling of dread emanates from its pages every time I look at it. Essentially, a good book with good intentions for a system that is falling apart at the seams. Trying to fix what can be fixed on a microcosmic level–teachers. But, leaving unchecked the larger systemic issues that put enormous pressure and burden on those teachers. Public education is an unsustainable endeavor and I'm feeling caught in the web. I'm wondering how teachers do this for so many years. How can they find enough satisfaction and reward to compensate for all the trials and tribulations that make up teaching? Maybe younger students are where it's at. Teenagers are, in a word, tiresome. They are wonderful, and they make me weary. I long for sanity and rhythm and ease. I want to write, read for my own knowing, give service where it is wanted and accepted. I've been reading two other books that are bringing wisdom and comfort for this time of searching:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Found your blog through facebook -- pretty interesting! Just got the book. I am excited about trying out the techniques even though next year I'm going to be teaching students who somehow made it into college rather than anyone K-12. (College-prep math for college freshmen.) Last year I had a mixed group of 8th through 11th grade boys... as a 5'1" woman who never did get any formal teacher training, that was exciting. They *are* tiring.
Since you're talking about other books that you've been reading, here are two that have been influential for me:
Parker's Palmer's Courage to Teach -- teaching and spirituality. (I also liked his "A Hidden Wholeness," which isn't about teaching per se.)
Mary Rose O'Reilley's books, especially The Garden at Night: Burnout and Breakdown in the Teaching Life
Maybe I'm revealing my own biases here, but I guess I do look at teaching as a spiritual journey. It is so hard to try to be present, honest, fierce, joyful, effective, rigorous, and approachable to a bunch of kids. The material constraints don't help any.
Good luck. I'll be checking up on your blog :)
Thank-you for your support! I love Parker Palmer and just ordered Mary O'Reilley's book. I couldn't agree with you more about the spiritual journey of teaching. Just like life!
Post a Comment