Saturday, April 24, 2010

Being a Champion

Talking to my husband yesterday, he pointed out that it is kind of ridiculous how much I am underselling my abilities as a teacher in this blog.  Both of us tend to do this to ourselves, as we set our sights on mastery.  A noble goal, but there also needs to be a celebration of successes achieved along the way. 

So, I've been reflecting on what it means to be a champion and how that differs from trying to obtain perfection.  Here are my thoughts this morning: being a champion teacher for me would feel like my authentic self was present and expressed in my work; it would also mean that I would be an effective and inspiring teacher for the majority of my students the majority of the time. 

Champions are not pussy footing around.  They are training to go all the way, and this requires much sacrifice of ego, self-discipline and dogged determination.  Champions have to train body, mind and spirit (on this note, I am seeing my health challenges of late as a wake up call to take better care of myself).  All of these elements work in harmony with that extra ingredient that seems to come from some higher place--a flow, a connection, the za za zoom.  There is something about a champion that is akin to star power.  Hard to say what the "it" of that presence is exactly, but it can be tangibly felt.  

True star power, contrary to what many may think, is not egotistical.  In my world, it reminds me of what my spiritual teacher, Sri Harold Klemp writes as a method of building self-confidence...putting the full force of who you are spiritually behind your replies, thoughts and deeds.  That presence can light up a room, and it uplifts everyone around.  Watching a play with Annette Bening at the Geffen Playhouse this winter, I saw just that.  The second she entered the stage the "it" emanated from her.  It made everyone around her greater.

Pour moi, the techniques in this teaching book are like the ingredients in a recipe (I really do just want to blog about food, food glorious food).  The quality of spiritual force or champion energy that goes into teaching with these techniques is like the quality of the raw food ingredients.  Then, of course, the intention, skill and gift of the chef is what makes the true transformation happen.  Bolstering skills and practicing them time and again are key to becoming a better teacher.  A final secret for all truly good cooking is to sprinkle with love.  So this is the one technique that I would add to Teach Like a Champion and to any "how to" book: GIVE LOVE.  Serve warmly and enjoy.

No comments: