Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Double Plan & Draw the Map

Cold sore almost invisible, actual onset of cold present.  Part of a new environment is exposure to new germs.  I've been sick way too much this year.  Time to clean up my stress level and my food act (no more coffee, too much acid, waaah).

Technique #10 is about visualizing how you, the teacher, are going to be in the room, and not only what your role in the lesson will be, but what the students should be doing while you are busy being teacher.  Seeing through students' eyes.  Double planning is planning for both parties.  This one is more obvious.

As an empathic person, I am pretty used to thinking about things from other people's perspectives.  Finally, a cookie for Emily.  However, I still need to have help in hooking students and pacing.  Even though I can sense what is going be a problem spot, I'm still working on finding ways around the potholes.

#11 Drawing the Map is about creating a classroom that functions on a physical level.  The layout needs to maximize on task student work and be structured for learning, not just socializing.  In my little rectangle of a room, I've come as close as I can to the book's model.  The model, you ask?  Yes, it's rows.  Good old fashioned rows of tables or doubled up desks.  Three wide and five deep with big aisle ways.  Not glamorous, but highly functional.

A lot of classroom management depends on a teacher's ability to work the room and access all students.  You should come see how limited my space is at my school--I've lost the battle before it's even begun.  Tripping over backpacks and having to butt check students to get access to the inner seats is not ideal.  Our building was designed for Salvation Army wayward pregnant teens, and I think my room was a dormitory room.  It seems perfect for bunk beds, not a classroom.  Note to self and administration: new room next year.  Let's hope.

1 comment:

Derek Sleater Cook said...

No more coffee, eh?!!!? Wow-I'm not sure I could ever do that, so let's hope it doesn't come to that!

I understand the "space" issue! I agreed to use a way-too-small training room to convenience a team by proximity and date, but I'm regretting it! The manager attempted to increase the size today and I actually insisted that we decrease our original plan. It does impact the learning!

So there is actually a possibility of better room next year? That is promising, but doesn't that mean someone else will have to settle for your current room?

What can you do with your current space to move closer to a better model?

You're awesome!!!

Big hug,
Derek