Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Two in One Blog

Technique #7 & 8: 4Ms and POST IT 

I've spent more time reading and revamping curriculum these past few days, less time blogging.  The next series of techniques have to do with planning.  Finding ways to create manageable, measurable, objectives that are getting students prepared for the path to college.  Then posting them in the room for all to see (administrators, peers, students), in plain English.

This seems like common sense, but if you take a look at the California Language Arts Standards, it's not always easy to figure out how to make these objectives manageable or measurable.  But, lo and behold, along will come state testing to make sure that these deeper level skills somehow boil down to multiple guessing testing.  Am I a little disgruntled about upcoming tests in May?  Nah.

What I appreciate about these two techniques is that they call for teacher accountability, and if I really am getting clear on what I want my students to understand, it frames the question better than, "What should we do today?"  Trying to find the harmony between engaging students and challenging them.  
 
Here's a quote for the day, courtesy of Henry David Thoreau:  "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." 

With that said, I'm going to go rock out to Glee and watch Rachel kick some ass.

No comments: