Monday, April 5, 2010

Day One

Coming home on the plane from an Eckankar seminar in Minneapolis last night, I digested the end of Catcher in the Rye and the first two chapters and 11 techniques of Teach Like a Champion. The guys over the aisle were digesting Bacardi at a rate equal to my reading and getting pretty spunky--made for an interesting trip home.

This book has made me reflect deeply on my teaching practices (and lack thereof), and while it is discouraging to see how futile much of my training was and how high the mountain looks in front of me, I am also encouraged to finally have concrete techniques to incorporate and more importantly, feel like I am shifting into a paradigm of measurability as an educator. The goal is to be able to measure my effectiveness as a teacher in practical ways by the end of this whole venture. I am finding respite from that inner critic already because my mind has something to noodle on instead of beating myself up for all the ways I feel I am failing as a teacher.

So here goes the first key idea: NO OPT OUT

This one is simple, but it is amazing how many teachers let kids slide so as to avoid making students uncomfortable. I've had students ask for a "pass" frequently when it comes to reading, sharing or answering questions, which is really code for skipping them never to return again. I have gone both ways in the past with this idea of letting students not answer, not sure which was honoring their needs the most. I can see, however, how the ability to opt out of answering is a way many kids cover their learning issues and try to just get by. NO OPT OUT means honoring the need to learn first.

I'm not going to lie to you: parts of this chapter were addressed in a New York Times Magazine article, so I've implemented this idea for a few days before spring break in addition to today.

When first implementing the technique, students were eager to help each other out--whispering answers or trying to take the skip me route. They quickly found out how tedious and annoying it was to have to answer the question again after another student gave the right answer. Busted. On the other hand, students who genuinely didn't know had their voice heard, and got to correct their understanding and even add on if they wanted. Some of the more shy kids are also the ones who don't become good speakers, and disengage. Losing that ability to opt out of participating helped me see how my students were gaining accountability and knowledge. I felt a little mean at first, but adapted my tone to still remain encouraging. Technique one, success! FYI--No, these people are not paying me, but I'm open to the possibility, ha.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Emily -
Pessimism = Seeing how high that mountain looks that you wish to climb.
Optimism = Taking that first step ANYWAY!
I am excited to read about your journey to improve your teaching skills. It looks like a big challenge, but you've already taken a great leap forward: setting the goal. So many teachers have settled, reconciled or just plain given up.
Just going through the motions.
I want you to know that I am sending your warm thoughts and encouragement as you embark on this path to be of greater service to your students.
Much love to you,
Roger Morandi

Danler said...

Thanks for your support Roger. This journey is about finding equilibrium as an educator--striving for wholeness in a broken system, and hoping that will inspire myself, my students and others to reach for the light.

Derek Sleater Cook said...

Hi Emily,
I'm a little slow on the uptake, but that is not an indication of my admiration for your efforts! I have struggled with blogging myself for a few years now and I'm late on my commitment to start again last Saturday. I just finished speaking with Ali about getting a new website and that motivated me to respond to your request and either later tonight or tomorrow, write a blog for my website!
I read April 20th and then decided to go back to the beginning to at least get some foundation. I see great value in the fact that you are asking the question about how to improve your methods and get better results. I believe that, in and of itself, will prove beneficial on both accounts.
You are a bright beacon amidst an often rather bleak background. Some or many may choose not to follow, but that does not diminish the value of your torch! Congratulations on "Lighting the Fire Within!" (Salt Lake 2002 Slogan)

Love you!
Derek