Thursday, April 22, 2010

Hook 'Em

#12 The Hook

Start lessons that need to excite your students into learning with these categories of hooks:
~quick stories
~useful analogy
~props
~media (picture, music, short video)
~status (give props to the chops of whomever you are studying)
~challenge

Hooks are supposed to be short, able to yield quickly to the lesson at hand, and energetic and optimistic.  Hooking students into learning is something that I need help with!  Often I just lack the dramatic presentation skills and am going to be more aware of this from now on.  I'm also debating on taking Improvisational Comedy lessons out here in Lala land.  It's definitely the place for it.  Searching for props tonight for Animal Farm.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

One thing in Animal Farm that always gets kids going is the quote, "All animals are equal. Some are more equal than others." (paraphrasing, but I think I am close).
You can write this on the board before students arrive. When class begins, split kids into 2 groups. Give them 15 minutes to brainstorm arguments on each side of this statement - some defending its truth, others denying it.
Then, have them either execute the debate, or share their key points for a debate.
I can think of other ideas, if they are helpful. I actually love doing this kind of thing! (I know, sick, huh?)

Danler said...

I have a political satire cartoon of this quote that I use, and we play the Take a Stand game over some hot issues from the book to begin--the kids definitely love this! Sounds like we are on the same page!