So, I have a cold sore in the corner of my lip (it's crusty, rustic red, and only the second of my life–hello, stress?), and the more I read this book, the more I feel like a total loser. The title of technique #5 is to teach with No Apology. This is not an apology, just a judgment. I am judging myself, judging myself, and feeling like a crappy teacher in a crappy state in a crazy school with chaos all around. That's the honest truth. By the way, if only my family are reading this, I might as well tell them how I really feel.
I started this blog because I was watching Julie & Julia on the same day that Teach Like a Champion arrived. If I wanted to have more fun, I'd quote Julia Child and start cooking cannelloni and lobster. At least there would be some good swag from readers and some fattening foods to cheer me up at the end of the day. By the way, when I figure it out, I've decided to add a Paypal account to my blog, on my sister's suggestion, because she owes my parents an undisclosed amount of money. Stay tuned...
2 comments:
Life moves, never stays good, never stays bad.There is up with the down, sunny days after the glooming ones. Learning comes from the unknown, but you know this. Do not be too hard on yourself as you did the best. How you get through each challenge will be the real teacher. Let it out.
Learn something new every day, don't be the weak link. Love, dogwood
You're funny! Ali was just mentioning "Julie and Julia" when I raised the concern that I've that the blog website owners own the rights to the blog material. So if you want to write a book someday and you want to use your blog content, the blog website owners could lay claim to your content. Apparently "Julie and Julia" came out of a blog so I think what I had heard, and let be a personal barrier for a couple of years, was some well-intentioned writer's paranoia.
I'm waiting for Alberto to arrive and very hungry, so the lobster sounds really good. Actually, I believe your cause is at least a bit more noble, even if it is not always as tasty!
What else can cheer you up besides good food? And don't you have REALLY good food just down the street every weekend?!!!? I am jealous and even more hungry now!
What do your students think about their space? Their environment? Their school? Have you considered inviting them into the improvement process? What if you could utilize all of their youthful creativity and ingenuity while teaching them the value of problem-solving at the same time? Just a thought.
I hope it isn't messing things up to comment randomly and out of order. I simply chose this one, because I was intrigued by the title of "No Apology."
Another big hug,
Derek
Post a Comment